The DF interview with youtuber that changed the usual Wall Street analysts to the latest Tesla results conference, which was blamed with Elon Musk. Amazing everyone, Galileo Rusell spoke for over half an hour with the CEO of the automotive industry and is now analyzing the Musk phenomenon with us.
In early May, Elon Musk arrived at Tesla's results conference. The largest manufacturer of electric cars in the world had recorded the worst losses in its history. And in just three months it had burned $ 1 billion in cash. It was the third time that happened in just one year.
The atmosphere was tense. Musk was ahead of war and looked exhausted. Analysts sank, tackling even the smallest problem in the production line. The CEO born in South Africa was annoyed. "These questions are so dry, they kill me," she complained.
Suddenly she did something unexpected. "Let's go to YouTube," he said, taking control of the conference and giving the floor to an unfamiliar young man with no experience on Wall Street and a few thousand fans on the video platform.
The turn fell badly on the economic elite, who felt the snub, and the next day the opposition denounced that the erratic posture of the CEO represented a risk, which caused the collapse of the action.
Elon Musk has become a global phenomenon, not only because its companies are at the forefront of digital transformation but because its vision for the future has succeeded in integrating the spirit of the new economy. And his attitude, less interesting for profits than for the liberation of a revolution, has turned him into a hero for millions of fans around the world (see Frame).
However, its style creates increasing tensions with the more traditional Wall Street domains and a share of shareholders. The break in the conference was not the only quarrel or the worst, but it was a good example of the impact that Musk's upheaval in the financial sector is causing.
Galileo Russell was a privileged martyr of the episode. He was the one that Musk gave the floor when he was bored with the analysts, and he talked with him for the next half hour. The 25-year-old did not belong to this group. Without an MBA or traditional financial training, it has nevertheless been a real passion for investment, which began at the age of fourteen. After launching a campaign on social networks, it received support from 150 shareholders to attend the conference. Surprised by the consequences, he agreed to talk to Diario Financiero about his talk with Musk, his great admiration for the businessman and the reasons why he bets on Tesla.
– What is your opinion on the role played by Elon Musk in the current debate?
– Elon is unique and Tesla is also unique because it is a business driven by a mission, which is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy and transport. It's not just motivation to make money. This makes Tesla such a strong brand. No other car industry has this.
– Although there are criticisms of his administration, no one is discussing his talent for creating billions of companies. How do you do it?
– There are three keys. The first is that it thinks everything about the basic principles of physics. This is a very different context and this advantage has enabled it to build companies on a technological basis. Second, she works 100 hours a week, sleeps at the factory, does what she needs to get what she wants. It has the drive and the determination. And the third, which is the most underestimated, is that it has the creativity of an artist, such as Leonardo Da Vinci. I have never seen this combination of physical, creative and hard work done to a single person and I think that makes it so special.
– Musk recently said this was the worst year of his career. Lie down in an office next to the production line. There is concern about your health. Do you think it is a risk?
– She's crazy, but I think it works. When he founded his first Zip2, he spent the night in a sleeping bag in the office. I do not know if it is the best for your health. Occasionally there may be a break point, but so you have to work. He pushes himself to collapse, then he is forced to take two days away, and then returns. This is how it has always been and how it will always be.
– There is a big field on Wall Street making small betting bets that Tesla will drop.
– I do not know how one can sleep in the evening betting against the only person who never sleeps. If there's someone I would never bet, it's Elon Musk. People love their Tesla, it's a company with an incredible product, with a CEO who has a long success of all chances. Why would anyone bet against this? Tesla has a massive position against. When his stock was US $ 30, he had what is known as short compression and many of those who were betting on hundreds of millions of losses when the stock reached US $ 200. I think this pattern will be repeated.
– Why are there so many people in nearby places?
– I have spoken with many of those who bet against Tesla, some of the smartest and have more chips at risk and have good reasons. They have been thinking a lot about the business model problems. Bets are a valid part of the market. Bet that the stock will fall, I'll go up. It is fair. At the end of the day, I know where my chips are.
– Is there a campaign against signature?
– There is a theory of conspiracy that bettors vs try to spread negative news and that this is detrimental to the company. I do not know if I believe it, but I think Elon believes it and I wanted to get Tesla out of the bag.
– Reports of his mental health have been reported, that tweeted an extract from Tierra Baldía, a rather bleak poem by Eliot, and joked about mixing sleeping pills and alcohol …
– The biggest concern is that something happens to Elon and can not manage his companies, so I hope his mental health will continue well. I think it's okay, it's just tired. He grows up and these articles seek to give that picture, but that day he gave an interview on an Internet channel where he seems a little tired but calm, reasonable. You may be taking hypnotic pills. It seems normal to me. Millions of people do it. That's what I wanted to take out of the bag. He is tired of people who do not focus on true history.
– And what is the true story of Musk?
– That the world is changing, that their cars destroy all others in sales in the US, and that the general plan proposed twelve years ago, that no one thought would happen, is happening now. You are the most revolutionary company and promote it with the most complex product you can imagine and succeed. This does not sound like a chief counselor with mental health problems, sounds like a chief executive who breaks it.
Elon Musk, emblem of the new economy
We wonder why Elon Musk has become a global phenomenon. And the answer is that their companies are at the forefront of the digital revolution that transforms the world. His vision for the future embodies the spirit of the new economy better than most. This Musk attitude, less interesting for earnings than for innovation, has made him a hero for millions around the world. And Chile is not the exception. In April of this year, we published an article on the plans of a local distributor for the import of Tesla cars on the DF website. The note is the fifth most read so far this year.
Musk's special style creates tensions with the more traditional Wall Street sector. Tesla's electric cars – a company introduced in February 2004 – which just ten years ago seemed an irrational bet, were attacked by the traditional carmaker. Their "gigafábricas" change everything they know in production models and scales. His Department of Gravity is the head in the electrical industry. With solar tiles and smart meters, it has transformed households into suppliers of large companies, and its accumulation plants promise to solve production and distribution problems. Boring Company, with the network of sophisticated tunnels, could bring about the greatest transformation in city infrastructure over the last century. And SpaceX, whose goal is to colonize Mars, puts the space struggle in the hands of the private. Hyperloop, his personal project, seeks to create a new vehicle, immune to weather and accidents, which could unite Beijing and Los Angeles in a few hours. Before I try the success with the creation and sale of PayPal.